Luis Dantón Martínez Corres
Luis Dantón Martínez Corres joined the firm in 2018 as partner and leads the Corporate Governance & Compliance practice group, which includes anti-corruption and investigations work.
He has significant local and international experience, is admitted to the practice of law both in Mexico and in New York and is a Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP) by the Compliance Certification Board.
He advises multinational and local companies on sensitive issues that usually involve various legal jurisdictions by working closely with USA, UK, Asian and Latin American law firms. Its work covers the whole range from the preventive aspects, such as helping clients to assess, develop and improve Compliance Programs, as well as in the crisis response aspects, including high-stakes investigations and the representation of clients before enforcement agencies and courts.
Prior to Ritch Mueller, Mr. Martinez Corres had a distinguished career working in Citibank Mexico, Banco Nacional de Mexico (Banamex), Citigroup in New York City, Walmart Mexico, and in the Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit. Immediately prior to his incorporation as a partner of Ritch Mueller, he served as Head of Legal and Trustee Services of Nacional Financiera, one of Mexico’s leading Mexican development banks.
The diverse and significant professional experience of Mr. Martinez Corres has enabled him to participate and specialize in a broad range of banking and financial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and regulatory matters, which have resulted in significant exposure and deep understanding of compliance, anticorruption (including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act – FCPA and the UK Antibribery Act), corporate governance, anti-money laundering and major investigations.
Mr. Martinez Corres regularly writes in business and specialized publications and is a passionate public speaker and advocate on the importance of ethical conduct in business and its value in the strategy of companies.
Recent Experience in Relevant Matters
- Development, risk assessment and recommendations of improvement of compliance programs ofdifferent companies in the construction and real estate development, infrastructure, energy,banking and finance sectors.
- Participation in a complex investigation for a top New York investment fund with respect to asignificant project in Mexico.
- Participated in the crisis management team during the first year of the Walmart Mexicoinvestigation under FCPA by the DOJ.
- The acquisition of a 100% of Walmart Central America by Walmart México.
- The development and implementation of a new Global Compliance Program for Citigroup.
- The acquisition of 100% of Banco Nacional de México by Citigroup.
- Chair of the Corporate Governance and Compliance Committee of the “Ilustre y NacionalColegio de Abogados de México” (INCAM).
- Member of the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE).
- Associate of the Mexican Council of Foreign Affairs (COMEXI).
- Graduated with a law degree from UNAM (1991).
- Obtained his MBA from Anderson Graduate School of Business, UCLA (1993).
- Obtained his LL.M from UCLA (1994).
- Admitted to the practice of law in New York (2008).
- Currently working on his thesis, “The enforcement of economic rights”, at the Legal Research Institute of UNAM in order to obtain PhD in Law.
- Assistant Director of Compliance for the Global Consumer Bank and representative of the Compliance function at the M&A Committee of Citigroup in New York City (2005-2008).
- Corporate Governance & Compliance, Anti-Corruption and Investigations