Luis A. Nicolau Gutiérrez
Luis A. Nicolau has been a partner at Ritch Mueller since 1990. Mr. Nicolau specializes in mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity capital markets transactions and banking and finance. He is a leading expert in assisting underwriters and issuers in debt and equity offerings in Mexico and abroad. He has participated in many of the largest public Mexican M&A transactions, and advises foreign and domestic private equity funds on a regular basis. He has assisted numerous international financial entities in setting up their Mexican operations (including Scotiabank, JPMorgan, Credit Suisse, Santander and Morgan Stanley).
He is currently a member of the board of directors of Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, UBS Asesores, Papalote Museo del Niño, Grupo Posadas and Shakey’s Pizza Mexico. He is also a member of the investment committee of Ignia Fund. Currently, he serves as President of Fullbright Mexico’s Board of Trustees, is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Indian Mountain School (Lakeville, Connecticut) and a member of the Supervisory Board of the Mexican Stock Exchange. Luis Nicolau has been recognized as a leader in all his practice areas, by several international publications, including Chambers and Partners, Martindale and LatinFinance.
Mr. Nicolau was born in Mexico City. He graduated from the Escuela Libre de Derecho in Mexico City in 1986. He obtained a Master in Laws from Columbia University in 1988, were he was a Fullbright Scholar. He was admitted as a lawyer in New York in 1989. Before joining Ritch Mueller he was a foreign associate at Johnson & Gibbs, Dallas and at Shearman & Sterling, New York. He joined Ritch Mueller in 1990 and has been a partner since then, except for the years 2001 and 2002, when he was the Chief Financial Officer of Vitro, S.A.B. de C.V.
Recent Experience in Relevant Matters
- Counsel to the underwriters in respect of the offer by Pemex of its Ps$2,616 million of its 7.18% Global Depositary Notes due in 2024.
- Counsel to the controlling shareholders of Invekra, in respect of their sale of a 30% stake to General Atlantic.
- Counsel to the Banco Santander in connection with the issuance in the international markets of tier 2 subordinated capital notes, evidencing the complementary part of the net capital stock of Banco Santander (México), for an amount of US$1,300 million at 5.95% due in 2024. This was the first issuance of a capital instrument (complementary capital) by a Mexican bank, pursuant to the Basilea III regulations, with the authorization of Banco de México.
- Counsel to the underwriters in connection with the Initial Public Offering of shares of Grupo Lala, for Ps$14,055 million.
- Counsel to Volaris, in connection with its initial global public offering of shares and ordinary participation certificates (CPOs) in México and abroad for an approximate amount of Ps$5,145 million.
- Counsel to Grupo Financiero Banorte in the acquisition of the 49% of Seguros Banorte Generali and Pensiones Banorte Generali, for an aggregate amount of US$857.5 million.
- Counsel to the underwriters in connection with the public offering of shares by Grupo Sanborns of Ps$12,088 million.
- Counsel to the underwriters, in connection with the global share offering by Organización Cultiba, for an amount of Ps$2,243 million.
- Counsel to Gruma, S.A.B. de C.V. in the acquisition of 23.2% of its own shares from Archer Daniels Midland Company for approximately US$450 million.
- Counsel to Grupo Modelo's principal shareholders in the US$20.1 billion acquisition of Grupo Modelo by Belgium-based brewer Anheuser-Busch Inbev.
- Counsel to Grupo Financiero Santander in connection with its initial public offering conducted on the Mexican Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange.
- Member of the board of directors of Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, UBS Asesores, Papalote Museo del Niño, Grupo Posadas and Shakey’s Pizza Mexico
- Member of the investment committee of Ignia Fund
- Chairman of Fullbright Mexico Board of Trustees
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Indian Mountain School (Lakeville, Connecticut)
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Mexican Stock Exchange
- Has published several articles on mergers and acquisitions and securities’ offerings.
- He participated in a committee that assisted in drafting the new Mexican Securities Market Law and guidelines made public by the Securities Commission.
- Master of Law by Columbia University (LLM). (1988)
- Law degree from the Escuela Libre de Derecho. (1985)
Experience as a Foreign Associate
- Worked as a foreign associate for Johnson & Gibbs, Dallas and Shearman & Sterling New York.